Thread Rating:
  • 28 Votes - 3.14 Average
What exactly is it?
07-18-2013, 11:30 PM
What exactly is it?
We don't have it in our store yet, and neither do any of our surrounding stores. Can somebody explain it all to me?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-19-2013, 03:03 AM
RE: What exactly is it?
Playbook is an entirely new engagement .. er, labor management and deployment system for Starbucks. A little backstory on it is that it was crafted by one-eyed half-dretch madmen somewhere in the bowels of the Lich King Schultz's dark tower in Seattlebad; these twisted, mutilated creatures apparently were once partners, but the dark powers took them and, through torture and VIA, shaped and molded them into ruined and derelict lifeforms. Sat down in front of a piece-and-cardless Dukes of Hazzard board game and given a bunch of dirty syringes, after a lot of screaming and feces-flinging the dretchmen created what we now know as Playbook.

Think of having a repeatable routine for everything. Deployment is no longer a fluid, adaptable thing ..or a slapdash, harried and inefficient thing, depending on how your store operated. It's all about efficiency routines.

Before going into the positions, your store needs to be completely reorganized- things are prioritized in accordance with need. You need cups and lids, you need vanilla, that sort of thing- so things you use constantly will be in the easiest place to reach and tap, whereas things you rarely if ever use will be put far away and out of the way. You'll learn to deal with plexis. Lots of plexis. For everything.

There are five positions- Store Support, Solo Order Support, Bar, POS, and Order Support. I'm going to quote smudge from the old forums for this one here..:

Spoiler :
Positions: Store Support, Solo Order Support, Bar, Pos, Order Support, Play Caller

Two person play: Store Support (tasks only) and Solo Order support (take and make)
Three person play: Store Support, Bar, Pos
Four Person play :Store support, Bar, Pos, Order Support

Store Support: This person has the coffee timer attached to their apron. The timer runs with the coffee, from 8 mins in the a.m to 30 mins at night. They do not interact with the customers, apart from when they do their lobby spins. They are task oriented. This is the one position that will not disappear, regardless of how many partners are working. They have a very specific routine, organized into work blocks.

The four work blocks last 8 minutes (2 mins each block). They Brew coffee, stock esp. beans, sleeves, and ice (wb1). They grab a fresh creamer/ milk and a rag and clean condiment bar, they stock up to three items based on need, clean cafe tables, then outside tables, then check restrooms (wb2). They look at the Cadence Task List (a list of tasks required to keep everything clean and running, change trash bag, small load of dishes, windows etc) and complete the next task in line (one done per work block cycle) and check off the task, they refill the ice cube (yes it's now a coffee cube instead of the big bucket) and leave it on the counter (wb3). They restock the 'signals'(everything now has a tag attached to it with it's name, vanilla, cups, whip, sanitizer, milk etc) which are kept in the signal box on the counter (wb4).

Solo Order Support: This person also has a very specific routine to follow. They both take the order and make the drink. They essentially have a BRR for customers. A Customer repeatable routine, which has to fit into the BRR routine. They greet the customer, mark the cup, ring the drink etc, tell the customer total, the gather the pastries, start the drink, return to the register, tender the transaction, tell the customer to go to the hand off bar, finish and connect. STAY AT THE BAR and greet the next customer from the bar, mark the cup, start the drink, ring the items, gather the pastries, tender, tell the customer to go to hand off bar, finish and connect. Go BACK to the register and start all over again. If a customer has more than one drink, finish all but the last drink, begin last drink, then tender.

Bar and POS: Just like before, except they no longer have to stock anything themselves or perform lobby slides. Customer focused.

Order Support: Very similar to the old floater position. They mark cups, gather pastries, oven, rinse. They must keep the line of customers BALANCED between POS and Bar, and switch their position based on where the highest volume of customers is. This person is not allowed to call the line more than one customer behind the 1st. If they have no more tasks past the 2nd customer, they help bar.

Play Caller: This is your shift leader. They will most likely also be filling one of the other positions. On a two person play this is usually solo-order support the 1st half of the shift, and store support after 6-7pm. They take whichever position gives them the most time with customers. They will never be your store support in the morning. Most likely order support of POS. On a two person play, they must be store support to get things done with the money etc.

On a two person play, the store support may temporarily slide to the POS position to ring customers if the solo order support has either three or more customers OR three or more drinks in line.

At night on a 30 minute timer, with the work blocks only taking 8 minutes, the store support has 22 minutes to complete other closing tasks and for people to take breaks etc.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Oh my word. My store just recently got together on deployment (our old manager sucked, as you can probably imagine) so having to learn an entire new system is going to be whack for us. I do not see this going over well with anybody here, shifts included.
07-19-2013, 12:00 PM
As a closing shift, I refuse to switch to the "two person" play. Our customer service would plummet. I still get everything done, to standard, and am out on time. I always hit and exceed sales goals, and am QASA ready. Screw night time play book. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
07-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Agreed. I'm not a shift, but I'm a closer for the most part, and just... that sounds ridiculous. We are all super good at our jobs and deployment and getting things done. Changing it seems dumb.
07-19-2013, 12:29 PM
(07-19-2013 12:03 PM)kings Wrote:  Agreed. I'm not a shift, but I'm a closer for the most part, and just... that sounds ridiculous. We are all super good at our jobs and deployment and getting things done. Changing it seems dumb.

Is it an actual book of guidelines?
07-19-2013, 12:40 PM
This sounds really horrifying. At this point, I'm glad to be in a licensed store. Though these developments usually trickle down to us, it takes some time. Some time to get the hell out.

There's this book I love that is eerily reminiscent of this... a sad, strange dystopian satire called "We". I think this must be where Starbucks is getting their ideas.
07-19-2013, 01:37 PM
(07-19-2013 12:40 PM)Unsweetened Wrote:  This sounds really horrifying. At this point, I'm glad to be in a licensed store. Though these developments usually trickle down to us, it takes some time. Some time to get the hell out.

There's this book I love that is eerily reminiscent of this... a sad, strange dystopian satire called "We". I think this must be where Starbucks is getting their ideas.

Good one! Big Grin
07-19-2013, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2013 03:44 PM by Señor Cardgage.)
It's not a 'book' in the literal sense, but a 'book of plays' in a metaphorical sense. Heh. It's basically a big collection of new deployment standards and operational procedures and whatnot, with the goal of 'do this hour's work this hour and customers come first' and so on. Part of the corporate mantra about it is so that we 'never lose customer focus,' which is where the store support grunt comes in- said grunt is doing all of the shit we normally do while POS and BAR and ORDER SUPPORT do their things. In magical fairy tale world.

OrderoftheBlackApron Wrote:As a closing shift, I refuse to switch to the "two person" play. Our customer service would plummet. I still get everything done, to standard, and am out on time. I always hit and exceed sales goals, and am QASA ready. Screw night time play book. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ah yes, which is why the little caveat of the 'flex play' was invented. A flex play is where you break deployment to do what needs to get done. As closers, we gotta do that liberally. I've told my SM outright that when we do switch, my closes will be permanent flex plays because unless I've got a third boatswain, I'm not leaving shitty half-done closes. She agreed, but is still promising a third closer. Not gonna happen, prepare for the worst, so on.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-20-2013, 12:04 PM
To be honest, I wasn't exactly looking forward to going live with Playbook at my store (we did so two or three weeks ago). However, I am growing to really like it, actually. Being the Store Support in the morning for peak does get a little old (with being on an eight minute cadence), but it really has been helping out. After noon at my store we just brew Pike, so Store Support goes to a thirty minute cadence for the rest of the day, which is actually kind of nice...You get to do some odd jobs, work on the duty roster, and just clean some things that don't get done often enough. Additionally, being a closer I wasn't sure exactly what part the Store Support person would play, but basically they are the one doing any of the closing tasks away from the floor, a big one being knocking out dishes. That way the person on bar can do tasks around the bar area (clean syrups, shut down/clean espresso machines, clean counters, make back-ups, etc.) without having to really leave the floor. Luckily, at my store we typically have three people until at least an hour to close (they usually leave an hour or half-an-hour before, or are there 'til right when we close), so Playbook hasn't really negatively affected being able to serve customers at night.